midway fire district florida roof

Firefighters responded to a two-alarm fire said to be caused by a roofing contractor using a torch to apply roofing tar. Photo: Midway Fire District/Facebook.

A roofing contractor inadvertently set the roof of a Navarre Beach, Fla. condominium complex on fire Thursday evening, causing $50,000 in damage.

The Pensacola News Journal reports crews from Navarre Beach, Midway Fire District and Holley-Navarre Fire District responded to a two-alarm fire around 4 p.m. The fire crews climbed 14 flights to reach the ignited roof. According to officials, the nature of the fire was accidental.

“He was using a torch to apply roofing tar from around 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. When he left, there was no visible smoke or flames,” Navarre Beach Fire Rescue Chief Danny Fureigh told the Pensacola News Journal. “But there must have been a smoldering ember somewhere, and with the wind up that high, it ignited.”

Fire crews evacuated the east tower as a precaution. No one was injured, though one firefighter was treated for minor injuries on site. The name of the roofing contractor was not released.

Chrisgray
Chris Gray is the managing editor of Roofing Contractor.